top of page

Canada Border Crossing Requirements

COVID-19 border measures end on 
October 1, 2022

Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

  • submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;

  • provide proof of vaccination;

  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;

  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;

  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.

Transport Canada is also removing existing travel requirements. As of October 1, 2022, travellers will no longer be required to:

  • undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or

  • wear masks on planes and trains.

Although the masking requirement is being lifted, all travellers are strongly recommended to wear high quality and well-fitted masks during their journeys.

Travelling with Minors

Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad  

We strongly recommend that Canadian children carry a consent letter if they are travelling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives or with a group. For the purposes of this consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence).

A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them.

We recommend that you talk to a lawyer about the legal issues that apply to you and your children’s unique situation, particularly if your parenting arrangement has special terms governing international travel. Carrying a consent letter does not guarantee that children will be allowed to enter or leave a country, as every country has its own entry and exit requirements.

For additional information about entry and exit requirements for Canadian children travelling alone, with only one parent or with another accompanying person, see our Travel Advice and Advisories or contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the destination country.

Items You Cannot Bring Into Canada

Prohibited Items

Below is a general list of items you cannot bring into Canada:

  • Firewood: You can’t bring firewood across the Canadian border. You’re expected to buy and burn it on site when you’ve reached your destination.

  • Weapons: Most types such as tasers, brass knuckles, and pepper spray.

  • Radar detectors

  • Obscene material, hate propaganda and child pornography: They can inspect your laptops, cellphones, and other computer equipment to see what you have on it.

  • Soil: Even other items you bring with you, such as camping gear, recreational equipment and supplies, must be clean and free of pests and soil.

Restricted Items

The following categories of items often have restrictions. This means you will need to check the rules to see what’s allowed, and you might need a license or permit.

  • Food

    • There are many rules and regulations regarding food items, especially things like fresh fruits and animal products. The rules also change over time as the government tracks new threats to Canada’s ecosystems. Visit our page on restricted foods for detailed information on which food items the Canadian border officers will be looking for.

  • Weapons (including firearms)

    • Check our page on importing a firearm or weapon into Canada for detailed information on this topic.

    • You must declare all firearms and weapons when you enter Canada. If not, they will be seized and you will likely be fined and could face criminal charges.

      • If you declare your firearm, you might still have it confiscated, but are should be safe from criminal charges. You may also have it returned to you when you leave the country.

    • You need documents to prove that you are entitled to possess a firearm in Canada, and you must transport it safely.

      • Permits are also required for explosives, fireworks and certain types of ammunition.

  • Cars and other vehicles

  • Bait

    • A permit is required for some types of live bait.

  • Transmitting radios

    • If you have an American operator’s license, you may use your aircraft, marine or amateur radio while visiting Canada without a Canadian license. All other types of radio transmitting stations may only be used if registered with Canada.

bottom of page